The Pot-y Chair (the name was my dad’s idea…)

11990418_766039233506537_8569749710172752562_n

The boards were my first idea because I thought I wouldn’t have the resources to cut a hole in the seat.

So after spending way too long trying to decide which project would work best for me, I chose the camera stand idea. I soon realized, however, that I didn’t have a camera to build a stand for, and I wanted to make something that I would actually use, so back to the drawing board. I finally settled in the idea of an up-cycled chair planter; I was excited by the crafty aspects of the project, but also knew that I would be challenged by the industrial level of work that would be required to put it all together.

I viewed several videos in preparation for building the planter, but in the end I didn’t really refer back to them because I decided to change my design. The videos all seemed credible; they were by experts on store channels, or just everyday people who you could tell knew what they were doing because of the finished products. Pinterest was a big jumping off point for inspiration. I’m beginning to think it will one day match or even out pace the massive google search engine.

I was lucky in that I knew my dad probably had many of the tools I would need, but I still needed a chair. I found a beat-up little kitchen chair at an antique shop and paid $10 for it. I brought the chair home and began to work. And then the problems started.

I had originally planned to build a crate-style planter on top of the chair seat, but soon realized that it would make a lot more sense to just drill a hole out of said chair seat big enough to insert a pot into. Another small complication was that several of the support posts on the chair back had come unglued from their holes and had to be regaled and clamped into place overnight. My next obstacle came while trying to paint the chevron/zig-zag pattern onto the seat; this proved difficult in spite of the neat tutorial blog written by @2sexyformyskirt that I found to help me draw, measure, and tape the pattern… I’m just not super great with directions, even written ones. I did eventually figure it out though, with some assistance from my mom who helped me not to get too confused by all the lines I was drawing/taping.

One last issue: even though I live about 15 minutes from campus, it was still a really close shave getting stages of the project done in between  classes, but I managed, barely.

Despite these snags, I feel this project went pretty well!

11988206_766038143506646_7959856286649648329_n

The finished product!

Works Cited

  1. How To Tape Off a Chevron Pattern. (2015, May 26). Retrieved September 26, 2015, from https://www.handmadeutah.com/blog/how-to-tape-off-a-chevron-pattern
Advertisements
This entry was posted in #1. DIY Project. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s